“Okay, honey…we agree, let’s remodel the kitchen!”
Statements like that are heard throughout the Eastern Hills more than any of us can imagine. Here’s what else we don’t know and only you can answer for yourself: is it an impulsive decision to plow into a project or has it followed a very careful and meticulous planning process?
For your sake, we hope it’s the latter. Otherwise you could be looking at cost overruns, decisions you’ll live to regret, and things you wish you had factored into the newly remodeled kitchen (or whatever room or space you’re tackling).
To help you avoid the heartache and added expense of a home remodel gone wrong, here are some questions to ask yourself before you delve too far into the process.
- How do we use that space now? Consider your family’s day-to-day routines, what’s working, and what you’d like to improve upon. If you have young children, you may want a defined space to keep toys or backpacks organized. Perhaps your entryway lacks proper storage space for shoes and coats, or maybe you could benefit from a home office vs. a guest bedroom. If storage and organization is currently an issue, consider hiring a professional to help make the most of the space you have or want.
- Will the new space accommodate everyone’s needs? Let’s get back to the kitchen for a moment. What’s wrong with what you have now? Is it just the look but you have no functional limitations? Then maybe a simple make-over is the answer with new cabinets, countertops, back splash, and other contemporary touches. Or, if you feel cramped, lack adequate storage space, need more prep room, etc., then you need to sit down with a builder or architect and carefully plan the space as step #1.
- How will your family change in the near future? While there are some things we can’t plan for or control, others are highly predictable. Perhaps an aging parent will soon be moving in or your teens or ready to set sail for college. Or, at the other end of a spectrum, a new baby is on the horizon? If your home isn’t already set up for these and other lifestyle changes, don’t wait for the last minute to figure it all out.
- Do you use or enjoy the spaces or features you have now? If you plan to stay in your home for the long run, don’t be afraid to alter spaces or features to suit your needs. Maybe that sun room, while nice to have, could serve you better as a guest suite. Or perhaps you’d prefer an open layout to tight sectioning from one room to another. While it’s prudent to consider what future buyers might want, there’s something to be said for having a home that works for your lifestyle.
At Kalamunda Plumbing, we can new beauty and functionality to your home with any number of plumbing upgrades, including:
- New, more versatile kitchen faucet
- Tub to shower conversion
- Creating a more relaxing and pleasant shower experience by replacing your current showerhead with one or more
- Add a gas line in your kitchen so you can prepare meals like all the best cooks and chefs…with a new gas stove
- Install an outdoor shower for a more pleasant pool experience and to keep a ton of mess out of your house
For more information and a free in-home consultation and new plumbing proposal, contact us today.