YOUR LOCAL MASTER PLUMBER
Burst Water Pipe Repair or Replacement
When we think of something bursting, we tend to think of balloons, car tires, an erupting volcano…in other words, something spectacular with real shock value that can be seen, felt and heard.
Burst water pipes aren’t always like that and, in fact, more often than not will occur out of sight, such as beneath floors or underground. Water pipes also can burst when you’re sleeping, at work, on holidays, or away from home for any other reason.
Where Burst Water Pipes Can Occur
There are numerous potential consequences stemming from a burst pipe, including a “sound,” an increase in your water bill, loss of water pressure, or reduced hot water temperature. Burst pipes also can lead to outdoor or indoor damp patches…even a major flood in the kitchen or bathroom.
Here are more potential burst pipe scenarios presented on the proposition that “forewarned is forearmed”:
WATER PIPES, INDOORS OR OUT
As the first steps in correcting the problem, Kalamunda Plumbing will determine “which” and then “where” the burst or leak has occurred.
UNDER FLOORS OR INSIDE WALLS
A burst or leaking pipe can occur under floors or inside walls, under baths or inside vanity cabinets, in ceiling spaces or between floors.
BRICK PAVING OR CONCRETE PATHS
And then there’s under brick paving and/or under concrete paths and driveways (or asphalt).
Identifying a Burst Water Pipe
Burst pipes not only cause hundreds, even thousands of dollars of property damage, they can also result in enormous amounts of wasted water. Minor but persistent leaks also can occur that barely register on the water meter. For example, a persistently dripping tap will barely register on a water meter but, left unattended, it could leak almost 10,000 litres of water per year. If you have a dripping tap and a leaky toilet cistern, they can waste enough water (per year) to fill a small swimming pool.
How can you tell if you’re being affected by a burst water pipe? Here are a few of the more common tell-tale signs:
- Your water bill has jumped
- Cloudy/brown water from taps
- Severe dips in water pressure
- Soft patches in the ground or lawn
- Brick or plastered walls feel damp
- Signs of water through the floor
CONTACT KALAMUNDA PLUMBING
Reliable Repair of a Burst Pipe or Water Leak
We don’t just repair or replace leaky or burst pipes, we can locate them precisely with the best and newest leak detection equipment. More importantly, we’re highly skilled in its use.
How Do We Locate a Burst Pipe?
- First of all we check the water meter to determine whether there is a loss of water.
- Then we determine whether the leak is in the hot or cold pipework.
- Wherever possible, we’ll determine the type of pipe, such as copper, poly, or PVC, so as to decide what equipment to use.
- And finally we determine the best way forward including the most appropriate equipment to track the pipe and pin-point the leak.
How Do We Repair a Burst Pipe?
- Firstly, we advise the most appropriate option for repair or replacement. Eg: Repair in situ, replacement of pipe, or redirecting / rerouting the pipe such as around a tree, or repairing the pipe from the other side of the wall, so to avoid removal of a bath, or to minimise damage to tiles or cabinets.
- We also determine whether excess water pressure has played a part by checking water pressure into the property and advising appropriate measures.
- We advise all occupants in regards to turning the water off.
- We barricade work areas where appropriate, to keep occupants and workers safe.
- Once the burst pipe is repaired, we will endeavour to return the site to its original state, including organizing the likes of a plasterer, or tiler, painter, etc.
Have a problem you want investigated…whether you expect one might exist or you can see it plain as day? Contact Kalamunda Plumbing: the leading burst pipe and water leak specialists throughout the Hills and Eastern Suburbs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What causes water pipes to burst?
Water pipes can burst due to a number of factors, including excessive water pressure, corrosion or wear and tear in pipes, and damage from construction or other physical impacts.
What should I do if I suspect a burst water pipe?
If you suspect a burst water pipe, it is important to turn off the main water supply to your home or building immediately and call a professional plumber to assess the situation and make necessary repairs.
How long does it take to repair a burst water pipe?
The length of time it takes to repair a burst water pipe depends on a number of factors, including the location and severity of the damage. In general, repairs can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days.
Can a burst water pipe cause structural damage to my home?
Yes, a burst water pipe can cause significant structural damage to your home, as well as damage to your belongings and personal property.
Seen our showroom yet? Visit us at Shop 5B Kalamunda Glades, 121-123 Canning Road Kalamunda 6076
Request a Service
Fill in the form below and we will be in touch.